Christy Newman is Associate Professor at the UNSW Centre for Social Research in Health, and Associate Dean (Enterprise, Impact and Engagement) for UNSW Arts and Social Sciences.
Christy conducts social research on health, gender and sexuality. She is passionate about the capacity of multidisciplinary and multisectoral research collaborations to advance the rights and wellbeing of communities affected by stigma, discrimination and marginalisation. Her impacts are most evident in the fields of sexual and reproductive health, blood borne virus prevention and care, and sexual and gender diversity, but extend to the intersecting fields of mental health, Aboriginal health, harm reduction and child and family wellbeing.
Christy has published more than 150 quality research outputs, including over 100 journal articles and book chapters, in addition to accessible reports and articles. She has contributed to securing over four million dollars in competitive and commissioned grants from the ARC and NHMRC, governments, industry and the university. She is Senior Editorial Advisor (and immediate past Joint-Editor in Chief) for Health Sociology Review, Joint Editor for Sexual Health, and Editorial Board member for the Journal of the International AIDS Society.
Christy was awarded the Paul Bourke Award for Early Career Research from the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia in 2010, and the Mid-Career Interdisciplinary Achiever Award from the Australasian Sexual Health Alliance in 2017. She received a University Medal in Arts from Murdoch University in 1998, and a PhD in interdisciplinary studies in health, sexuality and culture from UNSW Sydney in 2004.
Some current research-focused projects include:
- Critical perspectives on serodiscordance in family life (ARC Discovery DP160100134, Lead Investigator)
- Trust in digital health (Australian Department of Health, Lead Investigator)
- What we do well: Stories of love, sex and relationships (ARC Linkage LP170100190, Investigator)
- Sex in translation (Australian Department of Health, Investigator)
- Positively Women (Australian Department of Health, Investigator)
- Queer Generations (ARC Discovery DP150101292, Senior Qualitative Researcher/Mentor)
- Understanding disparities in PrEP access (UNSW Collaborative Research Grant, Investigator/Researcher)