UNSW’s Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences focuses on developing career ready graduates who are equipped with the skills to succeed in today’s fast paced professional environments.
Our Career Ready Mentoring program connects current students, in their final year, with established alumni and industry professionals to provide support and a practical opportunity to focus on career development during the transition from study to work. The program is delivered via a minimum of 5 sessions over an 11-week period.
Students who take part in the Career Ready Mentoring Program will build upon their professional capabilities which will allow them to:
- Expand knowledge of career options and provide a tangible link between study, employment and industry
- Cultivate both personal and professional networks
- Develop career skills such as: interview techniques, job search, improving resume, communication and relationship building
- Get to know an alumni professional who will provide support and guidance
- Undertake a AHEGS accredited program
This program is not an internship, work experience or employment. The aim of this program is to assist you to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to gain employment in your chosen field.
Students who take part in the Career Ready Mentoring Program must fulfill the following criteria:
- A UNSW Student in penultimate or final year of study
- Enrolled in courses for the Term the program is running
- An overall WAM of 50 or above and good standing at time of application
This program is open to undergraduate, postgraduate; domestic, international; full-time and part-time UNSW students.
Term 2, 2020: Program Outline
Before registering for the program please ensure you can to commit to the following timetable and compulsory responsibilities:
Thursday 16 April, 2020
Wednesday 27 May, 2020
Thursday 28 May, 2020
|Pre-program training session|
|Tuesday 9 June, 2020 , 6pm||Program launch event|
|Tuesday 9 June, 2020 to Friday 29 August, 2020||Mentoring period|
|Friday 3 July, 2020||Return completed mentoring agreement|
20 July – 24 July, 2020
Monday 31 August, 2020
|Reflection letter due|
|Monday 31 August – 4 September, 2020||Attend faculty closing event|
|11 September, 2020||Survey due|
Career Ready Mentoring Mentee Responsibilities
Mentees are required to show a strong commitment to completing the program to the highest standard possible. This includes:
- Attending the pre-program training
- Responding to phone and email communications from program organisers within 48 hours of receiving
- Making initial contact with your mentor once matched
- Identifying mentoring objectives and formulating a mentoring schedule in collaboration with your mentor
- Clearly communicating your expectations to your mentor and being open to their guidance
- Committing to 5 meetings throughout the duration of the program
- Keeping a reflective journal of your experience which will contribute to AHEGS accreditation.
Mentees can contact UNSW Careers and Employment if they have any questions or concerns about their mentoring experience.
How to Apply
Applications are now open for the Term 2, 2020 Program. If you have any questions please contact Career Ready Mentoring Program.