UNSW is committed to providing education that supports and stimulates gifted students regardless of their ability to afford these programs wherever possible. To support the learning of all students, we offer scholarships to students with special financial needs. Students must meet the selection criteria and scholarships are limited. Some students also seek sponsorship through their school or local businesses and community organisations.
We are unable to offer Equity Advanced Placement for January 2021, due to our shorter timeline. We recognise that on this occasion, access to scholarships will be even more limited due to the smaller size of the program. We also recognise that our much shorter processing time means that some families may miss out, and we want to emphasise that we intend to return to our regular timelines in July 2021.
It is important to us that students with genuine need are able to access this program and we gently request your understanding of the current circumstances.
Date applications open: Monday 23 November
Date applications close: Monday 30 November
Date outcome is known: By the latest, Monday 7 December.
Our scholarship form is now online.
The nomination form (to be signed by a nominating professional) is available here:
Scholarship Selection Criteria
- Applicants’ parents will have socioeconomic hardship as demonstrated by Centrelink documentation (‘Part B’ of their tax statement)
- Applicants will provide a written statement outlining why they would like to attend the Junior Scientia or Scientia Challenge Program
- Applicants are to provide a recommendation letter of support from a school or community leader
- Applicants must provide written evidence of meeting the academic selection criteria for the programs (e.g. test results or Opportunity Class placement)
Additionally, special consideration may be given to scholarship applicants who are:
- Rural and remote students
- Twice-exceptional (Gifted students with disability)
- Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- English language learners