The Master of Teaching (Primary) is an innovative site-based accelerated postgraduate initial teacher education program developed in partnership with the NSW Department of Education and local primary school networks. The program consists of core education courses, discipline-specific curriculum and pedagogic studies in the six key primary school subject areas and a minimum of 65 days of supervised professional experience, including a graduate teacher performance assessment and additional experience as a teaching assistant in a local school community.
The program develops the requisite knowledge and skills to enable students to meet the Australian graduate teacher standards and qualifies graduates as generalist primary teachers, specialising in at least one Key Learning Area (KLA) in demand by employers. As a graduate, you will gain accreditation with NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and will be eligible to work in all states across Australia, as well as internationally.
If you wish to study the Master of Teaching (Primary), you must have completed a recognised undergraduate degree with a major in one of the six key learning areas below, consisting of at least six units of undergraduate study, with no more than two at first year and at least two at third year, plus at least two units of study in one or more other key learning areas.
Key Learning Areas (KLA) include:
- English (literature, communications, linguistics, creative writing, media studies)
- Mathematics (pure or applied maths)
- Science and Technology (architecture, physics, chemistry, biology, geology, design, computer studies, psychology, engineering, nursing, medicine, materials production)
- Human Society and its Environment (history, anthropology, cultural studies, sociology, archeology, geography, economics, business studies, legal studies, politics)
- Creative Arts (dance, drama, music, visual arts, fine arts)
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (physical education, family studies, sports science, health studies, human movement, nutrition)
NB: You will be qualified to teach across the curriculum and will also have a specialisation in a KLA
Click below for the subject content requirements necessary to have completed within your bachelor degree:
Satisfied all the requirements to apply?
If you have satisfied all the requirements to be eligible to apply for the Master of Teaching (Primary) then click below to enrol now.
If you are still unsure whether the courses you have studied in your undergraduate degree make you eligible, send through your transcript.