Eligible prospective postgraduate research candidates who wish to apply to a research degree in UNSW Arts & Social Sciences must submit an expression of interest to the relevant area. This allows us to complete a preliminary assessment of your application and to identify whether an appropriate supervisor and resources are available.
Preparing an Application
Please follow the steps outlined below:
Step 1: Self-Assessment
Ensure you satisfy the admission criteria for your chosen research degree.
Step 2: Expression of Interest
Email the nominated representative of the School or Centre in our Faculty to which you are seeking admission the completed Expression of Interest in Research Higher Degree Candidature form (see below). Please make sure to complete all sections of this form and then save it before emailing it to the relevant admissions contact in your proposed School or Centre (contacts are listed on the last page of this form). Some Schools will also ask you to make contact with a potential supervisor. If you have already been in contact with a potential supervisor, be sure to include this information in your EOI.
- HDR Expression of Interest Form
- Master of Philosophy Expression of Interest Form
- Doctor of Education Expression of Interest Form
Your email must be accompanied by:
- A detailed CV which pays particular attention to your academic qualifications and whether there were any substantial independent research components in your undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Your CV should also outline your record of employment.
- Evidence that you can meet the minimum requirements for admission, including degree certificates from your previous degrees, transcripts that detail your qualifications and their grades (including the research or thesis/dissertation component), as well as information on grading systems at the awarding institutions, and evidence of your English language eligibility if relevant.
- A sample of your written work. If you have completed a thesis/dissertation, please include this. If not, please provide copies of a published research article or long-form research essay.
Submission of a completed EOI is a necessary step towards a formal application.
On receipt of these documents, if we're satisfied that all of the requirements have been met, the School/Centre will review your application to assess if appropriate supervision and resources are available. Your proposal will be circulated to potential supervisors and they will endeavour to find a supervisor for your project. If you have already been in contact with a potential supervisor, be sure to include this information in your EOI.
If supervision and resources are available, you'll be invited to submit a formal application to UNSW Research.
Your formal application must include the School's invitation email as the 'proof of contact'.
It is important to note that an invitation to apply does not constitute an offer for admission to study at UNSW.
All applicants must apply online. For detailed instructions on how to submit your application and more information on admission and scholarship deadlines, go to UNSW Research.