Diverse. Rich. Rewarding.
Our diversity of research areas and unique opportunities for interdisciplinary study offers higher degree students a rich and rewarding experience. In collaboration with industry and other educational institutions, our leading researchers utilise new techniques to find answers to the most pressing issues within our society. It's this pursuit for uncovering research for a better world that's what makes UNSW first in Australia for research excellence and impact*.
- A comprehensive research training program available to all HDR candidates
- An annual on-campus Postgraduate Research Student Conference
- An active and engaged postgraduate student committee
- Annual thesis writing faculty boot camp
- Regular seminars, workshops, lectures and conferences
- International student welcome and community events
- English language enhancement to help you improve your communication skills in English
- Opportunities to participate in the faculty heat of the international Three Minute Thesis competition
Paving the Way for Your Success
With access to first-rate facilities and world-class supervisors at the forefront of their fields, you'll develop research and professional skills, as well as a broad intellectual sophistication that is prized by employers in industry, the public sector, not-for-profit organisations and education.
As you engage in theoretical, practical and creative approaches to your study, you'll have access to our supportive student structures to help you develop progressive thinking and exciting interdisciplinary findings.
“UNSW has a fantastic research culture. Even as a research student you are part of the broader research community in the Faculty and the University at large. There are plenty of opportunities to engage with others and share your research with fellow students and academics”
Joshua Millar, Graduate in International Studies & Former HDR Student President in Faculty
Research Training with a Global Mindset
UNSW Arts & Social Sciences deliver an unparalleled Higher Degree Research (HDR) environment specifically designed to help PhD candidates thrive in their chosen field of research. We support international experience, providing a vibrant and stimulating research training with a global mindset.