Emerging Media and Social Change:
The Asian-Pacific Experiences in the Global Context
(The 9th Global Communication Forum)
Call for Papers Now Open
Organized by UNSW Sydney and Shanghai Jiaotong University, this ICA 2020 pre-conference focuses on emerging media and social change in the Asia Pacific. The pre-conference will be held at UNSW Kensington Campus in Sydney, on 20 May 2020.
Development of information and communication technologies give rise to new modes of communication, introduce changes in cultural production, distribution and consumption, disrupts industry boundaries, and raise significant questions about their societal impacts and governance challenges. The diversity and dynamism of these ongoing developments, particularly in the Asia Pacific, are yet to be fully explored.
This pre-conference seeks to contribute to the ongoing repositioning of media and cultural studies outside the Euro-American axis. It aims to bring both established and emerging scholars including higher-degree students to intellectual dialogues around cultural changes, industry transformations, societal impacts, and governance challenges brought by emerging media in societies across the Asia Pacific. It seeks contributions with a theoretical, empirical or applied focus, welcomes research with comparative or historical perspectives, and encourages reflection on power dynamics on local, regional and global levels.
To this end, we welcome paper and panel proposals on, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Emerging media technologies (e.g. algorithms, automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, 5G, VR/AR, block chain) and cultural, social and political impacts in the Asia-Pacific and Australasian region
- Intra-regional, transnational and global dynamics: Developments in the Asian-Pacific and Australasian regions on the restructuring of global media industries, division of labor, and power structure
- The processes and impacts of platformization in different societies in the region
- Values and ethics of the internet
- Internet regulation and governance
- Emerging media in the post-truth era
- Methodological and conceptual challenges and innovations in researching emerging media and cultural, social and political change
- Proposals reflecting the general theme of the ICA 2020 in the Asia-Pacific context
Keynote speakers to be announced in Spring 2020.