Lukasz (Luk) Swiatek lectures in Media and Communications, within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, at UNSW Sydney. He draws on a wealth of practical industry experience in both his teaching and research.
Luk has taught a range of postgraduate and undergraduate (junior and senior) courses in media studies, communication, and international and global studies. He supervises Honours, Masters and PhD students. His learning and teaching blog receives hundreds of visitors from around the world each year.
The first major focus of his research is strategic communication. Current studies are tackling two areas: critical issues in digital media and communications affecting organisations and professional communicators, as well as the changing shapes and roles of different types of rewards. The second major research focus is higher education.
Previously, he worked in publishing and news (as a reporter and editor) and in integrated communication (combining public relations and advertising), in both the corporate and not-for-profit sectors.
Areas of research
- Strategic communication and public relations
- Recognition and rewarding (including awards and prizes)
- Higher education
- Critical issues in digital media and communications
- Entertainment and celebrity
- Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA)
- Australia and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA)
- Public Relations Institute of New Zealand (PRINZ)
- Public Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA)
- 2019: Fellowship of the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA)
- 2017: Rita and John Cornforth Medal for PhD Achievement (awarded by the University of Sydney)
- See other recent recognitions