Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor of Arts - Japanese Studies and Korean Studies
Current Position: Consultant in Operations Advisory at KPMG
1. What attracted you to studying Arts & Social Sciences at UNSW?
I was attracted to studying Arts and Social Sciences at UNSW due the diversity of courses offered and renowned quality of teaching by talented staff at a globally recognised university. I was confident that it would enable me to freely pursue my passion of learning new languages and cultivating a deeper understanding of different cultures.
2. Did you always have a clear idea of what you wanted to do after completing your degree?
I never had a clear idea of what I wanted to do after completing my degree. All I knew was that I wanted to have the chance to interact with like-minded individuals from diverse backgrounds to collaboratively tackle complex problems and make a difference in the world.
3. How did your time at UNSW help shape who you are today?
My time at UNSW shaped me to be who I am today because it gave me the unique opportunity learn from talented individuals, develop invaluable skills, meet my lifelong friends and explore an endless list of professional and academic possibilities.
4. How did studying Arts & Social Sciences at UNSW help you develop transferable skills?
Within my professional career I have been able to apply problem solving, communication and stakeholder engagement skills that I developed during my studies of Arts and Social Sciences at UNSW. These transferable skills were refined and adapted based on the feedback I received from my peers and professors.
5. How did studying Arts & Social Sciences at UNSW help form your view on the world and the contemporary issues we face today?
The experience of studying Arts and Social Sciences at UNSW allowed me to improve my empathy and interpersonal skills while making me more aware of the different perspectives people may have of a single situation. This has assisted in broadening my understanding of the complex issues we face today and my own view of the world.
6. How did UNSW Arts & Social Sciences help prepare you for the workforce throughout your degree?
UNSW Arts and Social Sciences prepared me to thrive within the professional workplace by teaching me the practical skills required and provided me with feedback within a supportive environment.
7. How did you get your foot in the door as a graduate, following the completion of your degree?
During my penultimate year with the support of my friends and the guidance from my professors, I was able to secure and complete a yearlong internship. From there I was able to apply the knowledge and skills that I developed while studying at UNSW to excel in my role. Following the completion my internship, I was offered a permanent role which helped me get my foot through the door to new opportunities.
8. What advice would you give to someone considering studying Arts at UNSW?
If you are not sure on what you want to study or want a degree to complement your studies, studying Arts at UNSW will give you access to and cultivate your knowledge on the most diverse range of subjects.
9. What is your most memorable experience from your time at UNSW?
My most memorable experience at UNSW is my yearlong exchange to South Korea. I was able to gain invaluable experiences while immersing myself within a different culture and meet lifelong friends that I am truly grateful for.
10. Why do you Love What You Do?
I love what I do because I am constantly challenging myself to grow but also it allows me to be myself while having fun.