Open to a World of Global Teaching Opportunities
UNSW Language and Literacy Education, including Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), focuses on the teaching and learning of languages and literacy in both English-speaking and non-English-speaking nations.
You'll dive into the learning and teaching of English, languages other than English and English as a second or additional language/dialect (EAL/D). You’ll understand the implications of pedagogy, curriculum design and assessment and evaluation in schools, community organisations and higher education institutions.
As the demand for higher degree English teachers grows with 1.5 billion people learning English worldwide, studying Language and Literacy Education at UNSW opens up a world of international career opportunities.
Led by Renowned Academics & Researchers
Language and Literacy Education at UNSW is led by an internationally-recognised research team who have made a major impact worldwide in advancing language and literacy education policy and programming, teacher education, curriculum and assessment, pedagogy and practice.
They hold significant leadership positions on national and international advisory committees and professional associations, including the Australian Association for Applied Linguistics and the Australian Council of TESOL Associations.
With over $5 million of grant support won in the last five years, their work has included projects funded by:
- Australian Research Council
- NSW Department of Education and Training
- Association of Independent Schools NSW
- Victorian Department of Education and Training
- Association of Independent Schools Victoria
- Catholic Education
- Federal Department of Education
- Global English Corporation
- Beijing Normal University
- Hong Kong Research Grants Committee
- Hong Kong Education and Manpower Bureau
- Brunei Ministry of Education
- Singapore Ministry of Education
- British Council
Flexible & Affordable
We offer alternative delivery options, including:
- Online and blended courses
- Intensive school holiday courses
- Workplace and self-directed learning
- Evening classes
Our flexible learning options ensure language and literacy education study fits into your lifestyle. We also provide affordable study options with Commonwealth Supported Places and the opportunity (for eligible students) to pay or defer fees through FEE-HELP.
Accelerate Your Teaching Career
Postgraduate studies in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and other areas of Language and Literacy Education at UNSW will enhance your career options and professional advancement within a broad range of educational institutions.
Depending on the combination of courses you study, you can gain accreditation to teach as a specialist English language teacher in schools and intensive English language centres in Australia and overseas, working with primary, secondary and/or adult/tertiary learners of English as a second or additional language (ESL/EAL).
If you're already working as a qualified English language teacher, after completing the Master of Education (TESOL), your future career options could include:
- Teacher leadership
- Teacher education/professional development
- International educational development
- Language assessment and testing (such as becoming an IELTS examiner)
- Course design/writing/publishing
- Language school management