The Career Ready Mentoring Program provides an opportunity for Arts & Social Sciences alumni to play a pivotal role in the development of students as they transition into their professional career. Successful students are provided with pre-program training to prepare them for the mentoring process.
- Personal fulfilment from shaping and developing a student’s career
- Professional development – enhancing leadership, communication and management expertise
- Contributing to the education community through knowledge and skills sharing
- Opportunity to reflect on own career/ personal aspirations
- Networking with other mentors
- May provide an effective recruitment tool for businesses wanting to employ new graduates
- Contribute to the development of emerging professionals
- Identify future talent for your organisation
- Gain current information on educational trends
- Professional development opportunities for participating employees
Mentors must be UNSW Arts & Social Sciences alumni, currently employed, with a minimum of three years professional experience.
Role of the Mentor
- As a mentor, your overall objective is to assist your mentee transition from student to professional through guidance, advice and sharing of insights into their chosen industry.
- Students, with your support, will set meeting objectives. Your role is to facilitate development of your mentee by acting as a resource and advisor. This may include assisting mentees to determine their career goals, sharing insights about your role, industry or work experience.
Areas that mentees may need guidance around are as follows:
- Workplace insights – e.g. culture, professional conduct, governance etc.
- Networking and interview skills
- Sounding board for CV and LinkedIn development
- Industry trends and challenges
- Finding job opportunities in the industry – job hunting strategies
Term 1 & 2, 2019: Program Outline
|Register your interest via online application form by Sunday 10 March, 2019|
|Our Program Coordinator will touch base to go through the mentoring program details|
|Wednesday 27 March 2019, 6:00pm||Program launch event|
|Thursday 28 March - Thursday 20 June 2019||Mentoring period|
|Wednesday 19 June 2019, 6:00pm||Closing event|
|Friday 21 June 2019||Provide program feedback and evaluation|
|Provide guidance to your mentees on at least 5 face-to-face occasions|
|Student will make initial contact and arrange a time and place to meet|
|First meeting between student and mentor. Identify goals and timeline and complete mentoring placement form|
|We recommend at least one meeting be held at the mentor’s workplace to showcase a professional working environment if they are based in the Sydney region|
Support & Registration
Applications are now open for the Career Ready Mentoring Program for Term 1, 2019. If you're interested in participating in the Term 1, 2019 edition, or if you have any questions, please contact Jess Theakstone, Alumni and Engagement Coordinator for UNSW Arts & Social Sciences.