The UNSW Career Ready Mentoring program connects current students, in their final year, with established alumni & industry professionals to provide support and a significant opportunity to focus on career development during the transition from study to work. The program is delivered via a minimum of 5 sessions over an 11-week period.
- Personal fulfilment from shaping and developing a student’s career
- Professional development – enhancing leadership, communication and management expertise
- Contributing to the education community through knowledge and skills sharing
- Opportunity to reflect on own career/ personal aspirations
- Networking with other mentors
- May provide an effective recruitment tool for businesses wanting to employ new graduates
- Contribute to the development of emerging professionals
- Identify future talent for your organisation
- Gain current information on educational trends
- Professional development opportunities for participating employees
Mentors must be UNSW Arts & Social Sciences alumni, currently employed, with a minimum of three years professional experience.
Role of the Mentor
- As a mentor, your overall objective is to assist your mentee transition from student to professional through guidance, advice and sharing of insights into their chosen industry.
- Students, with your support, will set meeting objectives. Your role is to facilitate development of your mentee by acting as a resource and advisor. This may include assisting mentees to determine their career goals, sharing insights about your role, industry or work experience.
Areas that mentees may need guidance around are as follows:
- Workplace insights e.g. culture, professional conduct, governance etc.
- Networking and interview skills
- Sounding board for CV and LinkedIn development
- Industry trends and challenges
- Finding job opportunities in the industry – job hunting strategies
2020 Program Outline
|Register your interest via the expressions of interest form below|
|Our program coordinator will be in touch when mentor applications open in the coming months|
|Thursday 16 April, 2020||Applications close|
Wednesday 27 May, 2020 2-3-30pm, 4-5.30pm
Thursday 28 May, 2020 12.30-2pm
|Pre-program training session|
|Tuesday 9 June, 2020 6pm||Program launch event|
|Tuesday 9 June, 2020 to Friday 29 August, 2020||Mentoring period|
|Friday 3 July, 2020||Return completed mentoring agreement|
|20 July - 24 July, 2020||Mid-Program survey|
|Monday 31 August, 2020||Reflection letter due|
|Monday 31 August, 2020 - 4 September, 2020||Attend faculty closing event|
|11 September, 2020||Survey due|
|Provide guidance to your mentees on at least 5 face-to-face occasions|
|Student will make initial contact and arrange a time and place to meet|
|First meeting between student and mentor. Identify goals and timeline and complete mentoring placement form|
|We recommend at least one meeting be held at the mentor’s workplace to showcase a professional working environment if they are based in the Sydney region|
Support & Registration
Please register your details with our expressions of interest form, if you are interested in becoming a mentor and would like to be notified when the 2020 applications open. If you have any questions, please contact Jess Theakstone.